♦ Our Mission ♦
To serve the citizens of Mendocino County by providing animal regulation services that promote public safety, health and responsible pet ownership and delivers these services in a timely, courteous, professional and cost effective manner.
Lovely Fern is a 2 year old spayed female mixed breed who currently weighs 53 pounds. Fern is easy to leash up and walk, greets new people well, and loves to explore her surroundings. This stunning dog knows SIT, LAY DOWN, SHAKE, and she may know STAY. She is oh-so-engaging, happy, and seems to enjoy pleasing. Fern is also confident, agaile, aware, and people-oriented. She has a beautiful, long neck, and she is graceful and athletic. We can't stop gushing about this girl!
Fern is a personable dog who is sweet, playful and people-oriented. During her evaluation, Fern interacted appropriately and friendly to our tester dogs--Oliver, a big dog, and Camilla, our little dog. After she plays, Fern settles down, and we think she may be a mighty fine couch parnter! Look for updates, as we get to know this beautiful, young dog.
(Photo by Rod Coots)
The Ukiah Animal Shelter is located at 298 Plant Road in Ukiah, and adoption hours are Tuesday, Thursday, Friday & Saturday from 10 am to 4:30 pm and Wednesday from 10 am to 6:30 pm. Many wonderful dogs and cats, await their forever homes here. To view photos and bios of more of the wonderful adoptable animals, please come visit us at the shelter in Ukiah or at: www.mendoanimalshelter.com
Please join us the 2nd Saturday of every month for our "Empty the Shelter" pack walk and help us get every dog out for some exercise! For more information about adoptions please call 707-467-6453.
Have you lost your pet? Please visit our shelter during shelter hours to look through our kennels, fill out a lost animal report, and before you leave, we will be happy to give you a brochure with tips and resources for looking for your lost pet. In addition, we also recommend that you log on to www.petharbor.com to search for your pet.
Please Note: Animal control in unincorporated areas of Mendocino County is handled by the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office. Field service calls outside of Ukiah or Fort Bragg city limits including loose dogs, barking dogs, humane complaints or animal bites should be called into the Sheriff's dispatch at 707-463-4086. In Ukiah, call the Ukiah Police Department at 707-463-6262. In Fort Bragg, call the Fort Bragg Police Department at 707-964-0200.
- Animal Care Services are offered to all residents through one central shelter, located at 298 Plant Rd in Ukiah. The Ukiah Shelter is open Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday 10am-5pm and Wednesday 10am-7pm. Adoption paperwork must be completed one-half hour before closing time.
- NOTE: The Ukiah Animal Shelter is unable to accept unscheduled or "drop in" admissions of feral cats from the public at this time as our "feral cat room" is currently filled to capacity. The Animal Shelter is needing the assistance of the public and requiring the public to make appointments if they wish to drop off a feral cat. If you have a feral cat that you are happy to keep around your premises, the Animal Shelter will spay or neuter the cat at no charge and return the cat to you. Please contact the Animal Shelter at 463-4427 to arrange a date to drop off a feral cat or to schedule for a future spay & neuter surgery date if you wish to keep the feral cat.
- March 21, 2017 Shelter Update. Nap time for dogs? Beginning April 4th the dog kennels will be closed to all between the hours of 1-2 PM for midday dog naps.
- We need volunteers! Animal Care
provides an orientation for volunteers every month on the first Wednesday at 5:30pm and on the third Saturday at 9am. Orientations are at the Ukiah Shelter. Stop by and join us, or call 463-4427 for more information!
- Renew Your Pet License Online: County Animal Care accepts animal license renewals online during the month it is due and if rabies vaccine is current.
- Is Your Pet Lonely?
Below are intake and outcome reports. On the 10th of every month the previous month's numbers will be released.
Intake & Outcome
Animal Control Information
Care-A-Van and Spay/Neuter Services
Animal Control Schedule of Fees
Disaster Preparedness: Saving the Whole Family | En Español
Services Trends: 2002-2009
Animal Control in unincorporated areas of Mendocino County is handled by the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office.
Field service calls outside of the Ukiah or Fort Bragg city limits including loose dogs, barking dogs, humane complaints or animal bites should be called in to the Sheriff's dispatch at 463-4086.
In Ukiah call the Ukiah Police Department at 463-6262, and in Fort Bragg call the Fort Bragg Police Departmentat 964-0200.